Our Island Stories
Are you aged 12 – 25 years and living on a Scottish island?
We want to hear from you!
We are excited to be launching the first Young Islanders Film Festival
Our Island Stories Film Festival is online on Saturday 28th August 2021
This is a great opportunity for the next generation of Islanders to get your voices heard and have your say!
All who submit an entry will be entered into a prize draw.
Submissions close on Saturday 14th August 2021
Our Island Stories: Industry Session
Saturday 28th August 2021, 11.30 – 12.30pm
What to know more about jobs and learn ways of getting into the Film Industry? Join us for this brilliant session with Sara Harkins. Sara will give an overview of the wide breadth of roles, skills and pathways into the Industry, which will include top tips and your chance to ask her questions.
Sara Harkins Sara has worked in the industry for 30 years, working as a freelancer and then at the BBC, primarily in drama and children’s on projects. She is now Training Manager at Outlander and the Executive Producer of the children’s drama Molly and Mack and working with Screen Scotland to develop their Skills and Training strategy.
We have already worked with young people from Islay, Arran, Lewis, Orkney, Shetland, South Uist, Colonsay, Eigg, Tiree and Mull. Come join us!
We have covered a range of issues and topics including:
- More young people having their say
- Marine litter,
- More Frequent Public Transport
- Lower numbers of tourists
- More jobs and social opportunities
- Less holiday homes and second homes
- Respect and protect wildlife
- LGBTQ safe spaces
- Less gates left open on farms
- More craft classes
- More land in the hands of the community
We want to hear about what is important to you.
The film festival will be a great platform for your views and will help us to promote the changes you want to see.
Have you made films before or is this your first time?
Check out our videos with tips and techniques to help you get started and improve your film making
The short videos include shooting with a mobile phone, composition tricks, editing, adding music, animation and more.
Sign up here to access the videos
Once you have made your film you can submit it here for the film festival:
- We are accepting films of 3 minutes, and under which have been made by young people resident on Scottish Islands
- Film makers must be aged between 12 and 25 years. (Older and younger people may have been involved in the film making process, but the main creative roles must be in the target age bracket)
- All music in the film must be cleared for copyright.
- Film content must focus on life on a Scottish island
- Films can be submitted in English, Gaelic or Scottish dialects
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org